Recently I was inspired to submit an entry into the “One Minute to Save the World” contest. It’s a video contest where contestant have the opportunity to submit a 1 minute video that shares there message on how to save the world. I chose the topic of “going vegan” as an easy way to create paradise on earth. The medium I chose was in the form of a rap tune. Gary Pfeffer used his video and composition skills to put together a soundtrack and the video for the project.
I’ll tell you upfront that I’m no singer and although I sang on this video I was not willing to do it in front of the camera. This created a unique situation… who was going to be on the video? With the help of my friend Whitney the solution manifested in the form of puppets. With a visit to Jo-Ann Fabrics and a little guidance I threw together some cool puppets to share this vegan message.
Gary pulled out all the stops in creating this video, even going so far as to purchase a couple fast food burgers to drop into the toilet in the slow-mo finale of the video. This might not seem like a big deal but for a raw vegan the idea of standing in line at a fast food restaurant and ordering a burger is enough to turn my stomach… though it was only 5 years ago that I was chowing 1/4 pounders and dying from the inside out.
To bring it home we added the seductive appeal of eating naturally for the health of the planet by including a cameo appearance from the Raw Dessert Goddess, Heathy Pace… those grapes never had it so good.
So how can refining your dietary choices change the planet? Can reducing your consumption of animal based products really save the planet? Once you look at the facts the answer is an unequivocal “YES”! Here’s another bonus; consuming less animal products and increasing your intake of whole foods and organic fruits and vegetables will dramatically change your health for the better… who needs universal healthcare if everyone is healthy? Here’s a few facts for you to digest while considering what impact your personal choices on the rest of the world:
- Percentage of raw materials consumed in U.S. for all purposes presently consumed to produce current meat-centered diet: 33
- Percentage of raw materials consumed in U.S. for all purposes needed to produce fully vegetarian diet: 2
- User of more than half of all water used for all purposes in the United States: Livestock production
- Quantity of water used in the production of the average cow sufficient to: float a destroyer
- Water needed to produce 1 pound of wheat: 25 gallons
- Water needed to produce 1 pound of meat: 2,500 gallons
- Cost of common hamburger meat if water used by meat industry was not subsidized by U.S. taxpayers: $35/pound
- Current cost for pound of protein from wheat: $1.50
- Current cost for pound of protein from beefsteak: $15.40
- Cost for pound of protein from beefsteak if U.S. taxpayers ceased subsidizing meat industry’s use of water: $89
- Production of excrement by total U.S. human population: 12,000 pounds/second
- Production of excrement by U.S. livestock: 250,000 pounds/second
- Sewage systems in U.S. cities: Common
- Sewage systems in U.S. feedlots: Nil
- Amount of waste produced annually by U.S. livestock in confinement operations which is not recycled: 1 billion tons
- Relative concentration of feedlot wastes compared to raw domestic sewage: Ten to several hundred times more highly concentrated
- Where feedlot waste often ends up: In our water
- Amount of wells and surface streams in the U.S. contaminated by agricultural pollutants: half
- Amount you reduce your risk of heart attack by reducing your consumption of meat, dairy products and eggs 10%: 9%
- Amount you reduce your risk of heart attack by reducing your consumption of meat, dairy products and eggs 50%: 45%
- Amount you reduce your risk of heart attack by reducing your consumption of meat, dairy products and eggs 100%: 90%
- Rise in blood cholesterol from consuming 1 egg per day: 12%
- Rise in heart attack risk from 12% rise in blood cholesterol: 24%
Check out the final product below. Please go to the site and Vote on your favorite videos and add comments as well.